Saturday, January 30, 2016
Son
Gimky, your son, how can I say it? He was so....
Enjoying himself up there? I prompted her with the way I wanted her to finish her sentence, having a good time...?
Yes. That's the way to put it!
Mm hm. Why not just say he looked great up there? Glad to see him there? Happy to see you? How about say nothing?
The 7th grade b'nei mitzvah class led services, last night. Belac at times mumbled along. Other times stared into space. I was good with it. He was up there with his peers, comfortable, trying, happy. A part of the community.
Still later, Dot in front of mixed company announced, you should be on the Autism committee! I looked at her cross eyed. I had just taught 3 classes in the morning, had a rehearsal, taught 4 music lessons, accompanied the service that night after scrambling to feed everyone leftovers and was dead. And I run a special needs service every month, and I already help run another special needs group that is interesting to me in that it captures a whole variety of special needs. And I do track carpool and I help Belac with homework and organizing his life everyday which should already earn me a mother of the century award. I don't know why I feel so indignant about being singled out because of my son. Did everyone just think I have nothing better to do because I don't have a traditional 9-5 job? And frankly, I don't identify Belac as autistic, he's just Belac to me so the comments are just jarring. Can you just let him and me be, and let us mix in without comment? I would never say any of this baloney to anyone. No, I replied sweetly, I'm just trying to keep my head above water with everything I need to do! I nominate YOU, how about? I chuckled before changing the subjects
Tonight, we are hosting a progressive dinner for 8. Everyone meets at one house for apps and draws straws to have dinner at one of several homes, including ours, and then we all head to another house for dessert. It is a fun night and we have hosted every year. But the house is messy again, I haven't shopped yet and I did something weird to my shoulder, having played my violin for hours without my shoulder rest, yesterday. Next year, we will just participate. It's really okay not to do everything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.