Friday, January 29, 2016
clarifying
Mom, uh, why is Nana in bed, like is she tired or old?
He was laying on the top bunk in the dark. I paused. He had been listening to the whole conversation, downstairs.
I heard you talking to Papa and you said she's in bed all day.
Well, she might be tired and old, but she is also very sad. And when you are so sad that you can't get out of bed or go to work or even have a conversation with anybody, it's what they call depression. Some people get easily depressed and other people go through something tough in their life and then get depressed, so it happens sometimes. But the most important thing is that if you are ever depressed, it is important to talk to someone about it, a friend or a doctor, and sometimes you can take medicine to help. So I was trying to tell Papa that Nana needs help.
Mom? Like, I like talking to you when I have problems. It makes me feel better.
I like it when you talk to me, too. And as you get older, you'll find there will be other people you can talk to, too, not just me.
So why is Zara scared?
Scared?
Yes, I heard you say that Zara was scared.
Wow. Was it okay that he had heard everything? I was now treading carefully.
Well, if you left for school in the morning and I was in bed, and if you came home from school in the afternoon and I was still in bed, would that be normal? Or if I was so depressed, I couldn't even say hi to you? That would probably upset you, right? So Nana.... unfortunately, sweetie pie, she's very depressed. She can't help it and she doesn't do it to be lazy or mean, but it's hard for the little girls to see it. It scares Zara because she usually doesn't see Nana this way. Hopefully, Nana will get help and she will feel better soon.
I just hope that you never ignore me.
I will never ignore you. I might get mad at you or tell you I need my space, but I will never ever ignore you. Now, are you ready to sleep? I love you, sweetie pie.
Good night, mom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.