Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Lessons

I have begun with 3 new students within the past week. So far so good. I am utilizing every minute that Belac is out of the house for art and film classes and doesn't have to be overseen by me. I have a bunch on Sundays, when hubby has the kids himself, a couple during the week day when the boys are in school, and just one lesson when Belac is home, but right after his Hebrew tutoring, when he's allowed to chill and have a snack and quietly do homework or draw. It works so far. And if this other family will take an hour slot, the only hour left when Belac is not home every week, I will have a full schedule of students.

I like it right now. And you know why? I have become strict. If you don't practice, I don't want to teach you. Period. I will let you go. It is not worth it to me to teach kids who don't regularly practice. And I also make it a requirement that parents have to sit in on their kids' lesson the first year. the kids with parents who can be present are far better off prepared week to week.

Almost every weekday, this month, I have given an hour piano lesson to a kid, home from Oberlin for winter break. He always wanted to learn the piano and because of his guitar playing, it has come quickly. In 2 weeks, he finished year 1 books. I have been teaching him music theory, too, and today we talked about Rachmaninoff. I can't help but think that maybe he learned more in these weeks than he ever could have, as a youngster forced to take lessons.  A lot happens when you're motivated and want something.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.