Saturday, January 9, 2016

Dinner

Sipping one of my favorite cocktails hubby makes me. A dirty vodka martini with extra olives and a ton of cilantro. We sort of laughed about it as he handed it to me. The house is tidy, a chunk of cheese and crackers and chopped veggies are neatly sitting on the kitchen island. The kids set the table, hubby working on the fire for a chicken bbq, and we are waiting. Waiting for people I wish weren't coming for dinner.

They have been getting under my skin for years. And it's only gotten worse and not better. Cmon, hubby told me, just try to have fun, lighten up! They're coming, so just try to have a good time.

I do it for Jake. I put on a good face and a good show, because he loves their son and they have been friends since nursery school. And also this boy, a very little kid for his age, has offered kernels of advice to Belac about loving himself. Does this kid know anything about Belac's problems? No! But he is so confident and happy despite being so little and not so popular, almost uncool. And he is good for both my kids. I love this kid!

But the parents? They get under my skin. They now live in that house that is big enough for their kids and all of their grandkids. The assumptions they make about the way their lives will turn out. I should learn something from that, possibly, but I find it so presumptuous.... And his calling me about how the chicken would be prepared. Really? Just bring a bottle of wine. But I had to listen to him talk about how he was going to bring something so special from his cellar, if the chicken was marinated in this he'd bring that, if in that, he'd bring this. The people we love coming to our house are easy. The meals could be all burned and they'd have a great time. Even my childhood friend from CT, gazillionaires that they are, they aren't that fussy...

Okay. But here is what bothers me. This is the problem. They pretend. Look. I have no problems with people making gobs of money, or in their case, being recipients of - I suspect - some trust fund. But don't pretend. Don't pretend to us and have discussions about barely being able to pay your mortgage, when you just took a trip to South America for 2 weeks and posted 95 pictures to FB. He quit his job from Ernst and Young 6 months ago to start a business, and we know it's been hard for him to get this business off ground, impossible. Their daughter also just was accepted to Brown University, early acceptance. Again, wonderful!! I am so proud of her! But it also means she had to accept not knowing if she received financial aid, and you'd think with all of their talk about money being tight, they'd be concerned and stressed out about their mortgage - now college bills - they keep telling us about. Instead, they invite us to fancy restaurants (we decline) and c'mon, they upgraded to a million dollar and more house, right before he quit his job to try to start a business. None of this makes any sense. So don't pretend to be like us, that's all. I don't trust them. And the more they yack about themselves, the less bearable I find them.

Okay, they are on their way. Okay, I tell hubby, I promise to (try to) be a good girl. It's for the kids. I love the son. An incredible kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.