Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Facetime

Joined the family at breakfast via FaceTime in enough time to see a Belac, trying to hide his tears from the camera, a glum Jake and an impatient dad. I saw Belac taking a long time trying to take out some frozen waffles to toast for lunch. I saw Jake eating rice and beef for breakfast. And hubby egging Belac on and everyone understandably ordering him around but making things emotionally worse. I noticed his hair was wet and it was just minutes after 7. Good job getting showered and downstairs! I told him.

Mom? I just wish you were here.... Belac said, weeping even more, while trying to hold it back. Dad is yelling at me...  I don't want him to drive me to school, I'm going to walk. And I never had to pack my own lunch and it's the first time, okay? You have nothing to cry about, I heard impatient hubby off camera, you have no idea what is worth crying about, I could give you what to cry about ---

UH, Hubby? Hubby...? Hello? You there? Could you call me back privately please? NOW?

Sweetie pie, I know it's hard on top everything else but try to keep it positive, okay? He has what to cry about. He is missing me, trying to do everything to get out successfully and it's hard, okay? Try to be positive and encouraging, OMG I sound like you! I looked endearingly into the camera. But you cannot send him to school crying like this, okay? I already read enough in his reports about his not being able to recover emotionally from setbacks at school and the last thing we need to do is send him to school actually crying. At least not this week while I'm away. Try to be positive. For every one instruction you need to say like 5things that have nothing to do with instructions. Can I FaceTime with him again?

Joining back in, I noticed that Belac was back to eating and no longer crying. A few minutes of quiet was good for him. So did you have boys group, yesterday? Oh, mom! He took the phone. Ben told a funny story, he went to Virginia on the week end and saw a sign that said - unintelligible. I heard hubby laugh and caught a glimpse of him sitting next to Belac drinking water. You see? They are trying. What? More unintelligible talking and hubby explaining a little. Relieved there was a little bonding before school. Hubby now had his arm around Belac.

Okay, guys! Pack your bags, lunch and look around for stuff you might have forgotten, like your phones!

Gimky, hubby teased, by your own admission you need to say 15 more things now.

I rolled my eyes. Just keep it positive! I told him before I made kissy noises into the screen.

The roles will be reversed next week. It's good for both of us to experience the other side. The kids are resilient and will figure it out. Tomorrow will be easier and the day after and then after that. These are growing pains. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.