Tuesday, October 11, 2016

tidbits

A former student's mom dropped by to bring something over she borrowed a long time ago. She is also a mom in the district, a friend, a previous running partner, whose husband also use to run with hubby and just overall friends.... I was in jeans and I'm not sure I even brushed my hair. I felt caught off guard and not emotionally prepared to deal with someone standing in my house.

And I started squirming when we talked a little about the McGill summer week Jake had had, and that she offered up info about parents I don't know well at all - but do cross paths with regularly - and whose kid I know even less, was considering not applying to McGill over a bad grade. Um. How is this my business? Why should I know about this? What does she say to other people about us? And then she continued on a little too long about helping Jake find some cyber security contact, it just seemed... A little self important and stating the obvious.

I found myself held back and then kicked myself later when in response to her saying something about being outside on this beautiful day, mentioning we were waiting on Jake's tutor. Why did I have to offer up something so unnecessary? Why is it her business?

People talk. I found out my next door neighbor was sending her son to private school through the other local piano teacher in town. Why should she have told me? I think my neighbor was taken aback that I already knew before she could tell me herself. I should have maybe pretended I did not know. But it's a lesson. Be careful of what you say to people because you can't take it back and you never know what anyone will do with the tidbit. One might think that it's just community and being close, but you know what? It's still good to be careful about your own info.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.