Thursday, October 20, 2016

Forward

Jake called to talk from the HS office. He didn't have his cross country shoes for practice. Do you have much homework? We chatted. He told me his math teacher gave him the opportunity to do a few problems at activity period. The teacher didn't know yet what he'd do with those problems in terms of grading, but at least he gave Jake an opportunity to show what he knows. Jake had written him last night to tell him he had hastily taken the quiz when he shouldn't have. it was nice of the teacher to let him do a few problems. More importantly, to me, is that Jake learns the material and confronts his challenges readily. Even more important than the grade, is to learn from your experience and try to do something positive about it and also do better the next time. Doesn't sound like you have too much hwk, I told him, come home, change and go back for cross country. Mom, he told me, I still don't feel good about yesterday. So you're going to come home and mope? I asked rhetorically.

 I didn't see the debate but saw clips from last night. Hillary Clinton was better at coming back strong to Trump, from what I saw and read, and it is only because she practiced and studied and was willing to look critically at herself and work to do something about it. It's not easy to figure out how to debate with a loose cannon up to dirty tricks without stooping to his level. She doesn't give up, that woman, and I think she will do a very good job. (Can't believe I just wrote that.)

Bye mom, Jake called to me as he ran out of the house in cross country clothes. dad's on his way home and we're having a great dinner tonight! Cool! he called over his shoulder.

And off I go to my next student.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.