Relieved that when I went to help Belac get set up for a shower, he told me he was less tired than yesterday. I also noticed when I went into his room at 11pm to check that his window was closed, he was fast asleep. That was unusual. I read a lot about sleep hygiene and what to do with him is always trial and error. What I've enforced this school year was unintuitive. Instead of moving his bedtime ever earlier and thus causing him to lay restless in bed for more and more time, I moved bed time later to 10PM with wake up time remaining 6:40am every school morning. Thing is, though, I let him sleep in everyday of the recent long week end, a supposed no-no. He obviously needed it, though, and slept until 9am most days. The other thing is that since a few days ago, I have been making him run/walk a mile everyday after school and am ordering a few free weights for him. He doesn't love the running but I tell him he needs to do it, for his sleep, appetite and growth. And you know what? Yesterday, he ate two bowls of pasta with meat sauce at breakfast, not his usual one. And his lunch box came home empty. He confirmed that he ate his entire lunch. So good things.
I encouraged Jake to take a few extra minutes to look over his Bio, this morning. He has an exam. Mom, I just want to read, he said with a sigh. Listen, Jake. Just review whatever you might not know cold, a few definitions or concepts, it's good to touch it. As he packed up, we talked about the contact he has at IBM for a possible internship and how he could prepare for that conversation. How he should probably talk to his teacher about how to have this discussion.
And finally, I asked Jake if he thought Belac was insecure. Mom, that's just plain stupid! Well, do you see how he always talks about wanting to be 'cool' like his brother? Or did you hear him say he was stressed out, this morning, because so many kids are always coming by the house for lessons and saying Thank You to me? Be kind to your brother. You could help him a lot as a role model and also when you have suggestions, be patient. I am his mom and can give him orders, so you don't need to do that. But you can encourage him and help him A LOT by being a little more patient with him sometimes.
Mom, Jake told me as he was leaving, I think I want to work for the secret service when I grow up. Wow, I thought, that's interesting! This is a kid who reads a lot of of sci fi fantasy, is interested in politics and current events, and actually, he has the personality for it. He is very analytical, emotionally intelligent and emotionally disciplined. He is neither extroverted nor introverted, extremely fit and very interested in technology. I wanted to laugh because I mean, this kid has never been able to answer the question "what do you want to be when you grow up?" And this is what he finally says at age 15? You know who works for the Secret Service? Yeah, our neighbor down the street. Yeah, you could ask him about his education and how he prepared for his job. But if you one day work for the Secret Service - I won't be able to tell you anything! he interrupted me. Yeah, well, I told him, I'd want to know that you could always come home for dinner and see us like a regular person! I blew Jake a kiss, who was already walking, have a good day, sweetie pie!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.