A lovely turn out at tonight's dinner. Jake came early with me to set up. We put out planks and paper and crayons at the activity tables. We poured wine and set out challah for the blessing. People started arriving. It was just so nice. A girl who asked to volunteer arrived with her friend and her whole family ended up staying. i had prepped her to be a buddy for an Aspie girl, and it was perfect. They instantly bonded. And I noticed Jake was talking to her and this girls' parents. They had been in Hebrew school together but hadn't seen each other in 2 years. I really like the parents and the girl is cuuuuuuute! Beautiful and sweet! I don't blame him for being intrigued. He was on his best behavior, and ever so helpful. Both Hannah and Jake were in charge of the activity table and the kids. Parents had moments for some real conversations...
We all lingered long and chatted. The stars aligned and the kids were good, with the occasional squawk and things needing attending. Everyone hugged eachother at end of the night. One mom, mom to a PDDnos boy and a nonverbal autistic girl, there for the first time, hugged me and told me what a lovely, fun night she had. Others congratulated me on the award. One mom told me that it made such a difference that I follow up with all the families and personally reach out.
You're such a schmoozer, hubby pointed out later. Here I am twiddling my thumbs and trying hard, and there you are, making your rounds and in the thick of it all. You're so good, Gimky!
Sipping wine and eating potato chips now with the family. Tmw we leave for Montreal at the crack of dawn. I can't do anything else today and will get up at 5:30 to pack.
Tonight made me feel alive. It was so good. Happy day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.