If I can go back to back and not let anyone linger, I could still get a lot of students squeezed into my week, even not teaching on week ends. But do I really want to do that? As it is, I find it difficult to get everything covered in these predominantly 30 minute lessons. All of my lessons should be 45 minute ones, but most don't want it and don't want to pay for it. I never had 30 minute lessons growing up, they were always 45. And then 90. And then I was trekking to U of M or Oberlin for lessons, taking up half a day. Times and priorities have changed.
The local piano teacher in town and I are very, very friendly. We had a long chat, yesterday, and gave each other advice about billing and scheduling. She told me how she has the kids in and out, in and out, everyday and on week ends. No lingering, always back to back. If people are late, there is a student coming in next and that's that, no taking from personal time. How she teaches into the evening. She has a gazillion students, none of them come with parents, she doesn't do a big recital. I mean this would really stress me out. I really need the recitals and performance classes through the year to motivate the kids, and they really need the practice playing for others. The kids who have parents who stay during lessons, even if in another room, are my best students. I encourage it. And I really think you have to work on technique and skills at every lesson, not just rep. And real music. If I had that many students and not much time with them, I'd feel totally inadequate about what I was doing. But she has a point, none of them are bound for careers in music....
And I really have just one student who - if she wanted - could possibly do something in music. It is the younger of 2 girls who study both violin and piano with me. The older one practices but plays too politely and certainly has the discipline but not the passion and temperament. The younger, although still a goody two shoes, quiet type, is different. She has a certain discipline, too, but she gets excited and wants to learn more and more music and just eats it all up. Over the years she has crawled out of her shell and has become confident playing in front of people, everything always from memory and very naturally poised. She has potential.
How many students will leave me? I'm not sure. There's one kid that doesn't practice and I had to chase the parents down for a $400 check this summer. I wouldn't be unhappy if he moved on. The point is. I have a lot of trouble teaching the ones that are uncommitted and don't practice, and am not like the local teacher who will teach anyone as long as you pay. Better for me to charge more and get the students that are more committed, even if that means fewer students. Gimky, you have to raise your rates! the local piano teacher told me, yesterday. We absolutely cannot be the same price, she exclaimed, and proceeded to rattle off other rates in the area.
I did not realize to what degree others were raking it in. But you know, it's a big correction for me, which is going to be a hard leap for my students. I haven't changed my rate in 10 years. Ella made the observation that with the new professional studio, this is the year to make the rate correction and to formalize my policies. Reset and build again, as necessary. I will be the same price as the other Juilliard doc in the town next door and still cheaper than the nearby Amadeus Conservatory.
Deep breath. I just have to drop these letters in the mail and hope for the best.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.