Very difficult conversation, yesterday, with a family who told me they didn't call right away because they had to digest the rate hike. I gave her kids a significant 'scholarship' leaving the hike to be more moderate and I could tell something was still amiss. And while on the phone I was trying to do separate myself out and try to think.
My rates were nowhere near market, or at least they didn't reflect my background and what I'm doing. This family has 3 lessons a week and I've always given the mom a discount, was she was asking for the rate to stay the same? I couldn't tell. But really, they can't exactly stay the same. But maybe they can't afford it and they are a lovely family and it should? But then I feel like they need to come out and say what they need and want and not make me guess. But I was also already giving them an extra half hour lesson for free. I wrote to them, yesterday, nicely recapping our conversation and offering a proposal. Is this okay with you? I asked, also giving them their ideal times.
Maybe it was wrong of me and too piggy to just hike up my rate to market like that. And maybe I need to cut a deal with my families that have been with me long term. But on the other hand, I want to be paid what I am 'supposed' to be paid, too. And 2 lessons for the price of 3 is really not fair and I should have never allowed it. And they have the audacity to expect that the 3rd lesson still be 45 minutes and not 30 on top of that. I am not asking that they give up their fancy BMW, I'm not, and I do think they live a modest life, but I am also correcting the rate and getting it to acceptable range. And unfortunately, an acceptable rate that also involves a huge scholarship means a huge hike for them overall. Anywhere else they went, anywhere else, they'd never ever get a deal like this. They should consider themselves lucky to have saved such money for a couple of years.
I just don't know what to say.
It's music lessons. "Just" music lessons, was the problem with my mindset. No one else on the planet would have cut them such a deal to begin with. What is wrong with me? I am a terrible at making money.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.