Finishing dinner at 8. Kids had things, tennis, religion... It was a light night of hwk, but then I thought to ask Belac. You really did everything? Yeah, I think so. what about math? I think so. You have no tests tomorrow...?
I went to the website. They have been reviewing for a math test on probability tomorrow. Ugh. let's get your math books out. We were going to let the kids play for an hour, but there was no chance now. I pulled out his mess of papers. What happens when I don't keep on top of things for awhile. I found scores of 92 percent, 54/60 and an in class assessment of 24/35. Sweetie pie, if there is anything graded, you need to give it to me, okay? Okay. Mom? I think I gor 93 percent on my ELA test. That's wonderful!
I knew to keep it upbeat and not lecture. Of course this was too much for one night, and at now 8:15pm..
I looked at the study packet, all filled out - thank God! But a page of vocabulary words, dependent this, independent that, experimental probability, blah blah blah... I wouldn't be able to guess this in a million years! Belac, where is your math book? mom, she won't ask for the vocab, she didn't the last time. It says here, Belac, vocab for the test. The other was the quiz. Let's get daddy to help, okay?
It's hubby to the rescue. They have been at it for the past 45 minutes, going through the packet methodically. I hear him teaching, explaining sample space and order.... I have trouble rembering, I heard Belac say. Belac! I heard hubby exclaim happily, you know how you remember?? He showed a pattern to remember. I see Belac soaking it in. He wants to do well in Math so badly, and it's clearly hubby who has the skills and patience to explain it. Hubby is so patient.
Hubby has been so bogged down at work. But you know how they are going to improve their relationship? Over math. Belac needs help and Hubby can provide it. Minimum one hour a week. I am listening to them interact in the best possible way and it is so good and hubby keeps it always very productive and positive. If they are going to improve their relationship, it will be over this, shared learning over topics that thrill hubby.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.