Driving home from the orchard, I felt a little bit like a single mom. I am definitely not a single mom. But it's just weird to know that soon it will regularly and often be, physically, just the kids and me. When hubby took the 84 exit off the Taconic, he stuck his hand out his window and waved good bye and we all waved back.
Thank goodness for the gps that got us effortlessly to the nearest Staples to pick up a few supplies before heading home, an hour away. In the car, we agreed we'd have hot dogs and the veggies we picked for dinner. When the food was ready, Jake hugged me and said, 'thanks mom.' Does he feel like his dad is missing, too? After dinner, I helped him use the blendtec for the first time in making himself an ice cream shake. We eyeballed and guessed about everything and it came out perfectly, filling a tall glass to the rim and not wasting a drop! We laughed at our luck and patted ourselves on the back.
Walked the dog while talking to hubby on the phone about the ideas I had about how Jake could enrich his life, do something with programming in order to solve problems, volunteer as a shadow for special needs soccer, start a blog that illuminates on something new he learned or read about computer science that day... he had thought about starting some sort of computer club, which is work intensive and time consuming. But then I saw 10 articles he chose himself to summarize for his research class and saw what interesting topics they were, how well and succinctly he wrote, and what if? What if he just continued on like this? Share with others, everyday, the fascinating role of computers to solve complex problems? I mean, there's an overwhelming amount of material online, a lot on the high level end and just covering the basics. But a highschooler sharing with other kids his age, articles and skills that are interesting and age/level appropriate? Hubby was in agreement about helping him find structured and practical ways of pursuing his passions and thought all of these ideas were great. But of course, I don't feel I have the best relationship with Jake lately, who tends to get defensive when we talk because I'm obviously coming across more critical and less helpful.... Will you, hubby, talk to him? I asked. They are getting along very well and I see how he has been gravitating towards hubby, lately, which I view as a very good thing. For so long it was me, his Mommy, who he felt understood him so well, but he's growing up. And it makes sense that his relationship with hubby is developing.
And so they have been talking on the phone as hubby continues to drive to DC. Jake has his Java book out and is trying to figure out a problem with an array. Hubby talking him through it. And so with this distance comes a different and yet helpful way of interacting. Purposeful and continuous interaction via cell phone and landline.
Soon we will go to bed. In 20 minutes, both hubby's and my phones will ding to remind us - which ever one is nearest - to give Belac his shot. And then I will alarm the house before I head upstairs so I can sleep better. Though hubby and kids decided on all the music for the wake up house alarm, Monday to Friday, I will set my own wake up for an hour before. It's better to get ready myself before the kids are up....
What would we do without technology? All these ways it helps me, especially when hubby is away. Thank God for it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.