This Friday I will have gone a month without having a drink. During these weeks, I have also consumed very little red meat, less other meats, very little added sugar and much less bread over all. I also find I am drinking much less coffee, daily, a cup and a half at most.
What do I now know?
I can do this and feel great! I still party and have fun. More fun, actually, because I am more present. I am more productive and have lots of energy. I sleep better. I never feel bloated. My skin looks better. And even though I really haven't dropped any significant pounds, I know if I continue like this, I will lose significant excess fat and will simply be healthier.
All good reasons to continue on this path. But you know why else I will? Soon hubby will be gone during the week and I don't think I should be drinking alone and when I'm alone with the kids. It's a matter of principle. No good would come of it. Three years until Jake leaves for college and he's really developing into an observant, good humored kid. I want to be clear headed and me with my kids. Emotionally regulated, after all I won't have hubby to physically rely on during the week and there will be the inevitable hard days I want to pull out my hair. Alcohol, a depressant, would only make it worse.
The other thing became more obvious to me recently, as my students and new students signed on to a year of lessons with new terms. I have something very good going with my new studio and have this amazing opportunity to take it to the next level. I am actually consumed by becoming a great teacher and making my studio top notch, reading about other studios and methods, listening to music for my students, and figuring out how I can give more value to them each week. I have my dates from my schools and have calculated that not only will I earn more than I ever have in this coming year, but there are opportunities to expand with the creation of my new studio.
Why do I need the extra calories, extra expense and emotional damper of alcohol? Alcohol does nothing to improve my life. But as time passes and the days become shorter, will I always be so resolute? Will I really never have a drink again? I don't know. It has shocked me how easy it has been to give up the drink these past weeks. Let's just see what happens.
Meanwhile hubby has been playing Liszt for the past hour. It's exciting and brilliant. And why is that? Because he's not playing under any influence but his own. Even a glass of wine is a game changer in terms of performance.
Good changes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.