Sunday, July 1, 2012

hommage

Hubby came to me at 4:30. Gimky, I want you to prepare yourself because I think you're going to have a heavy evening ahead. I'm going to play with all of the kids, ok? and you can just take care of Al. What? She just called to say hubby is not coming, she's coming by herself with the kids. By herself...? Why can't he come?? She just said he couldn't come and I didn't ask. But... when has he ever not come? What could he possibly be doing that is so important that he can't come with his entire family on this Sunday night?? I don't know, Gimky, he told me as he put his arm around me and my eyes began to water. We both know that they've had some rocky years, he reminded me, it's not exactly a surprise. Let's just try to be supportive.... but I guess... I guess of the two you're going to choose Al, and I guess that means I'm losing my friend.

I think we've already lost him. We haven't been able to reach him in weeks.

Had I known, I wouldn't have prepared his favorite eggplant and grilled portabello mushroom, or bought the chips with 'hint of lime' that no one else really cares for. Without him, it will now feel like a depressing hommage to good times passed as opposed to the celebratory meal it was supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.