The Laurentians of Quebec 8/2012
Hiked up La Reserve with the boys and 2 nephews. It was a gorgeous and sticky day and I was impressed my nephews made it up so easily. They had never been on such a long hike. Brought them putt putting afterwards. Home for late lunch and then the mayhem started. My 3 nephews and niece, all siblings, are quite the bunch. They don't talk, they scream. They are very physical and someone is always crying or fighting. I am pretty tolerant of less than stellar behavior. But what makes this particular situation unbearable at times is the parents' consistent lack of intervention. Nor are they preventative or proactive. The kids run the show. I have come to accept the way it is with this particular family and simply remove myself when necessary. Over the course of this month, we will eventually spend time under this roof with each of hubby's siblings and their families. Our parenting styles are all so very different. Interesting how this effects the relationships among the adults.
This afternoon, Jake told me he couldn't stand the screaming and jumping on the couch while watching the Olympics. After repeated attempts to get my niece to jump somewhere else, I suggested that Jake just go upstairs and read. Now boys are in the bath. They are playing with bubbles and singing the alphabet and happy birthday backwards and laughing. I'm sitting on the bathroom counter with iPad. Our little sanctuary away from the continuing mayhem downstairs.
I sometimes joke that I have 3 boys, counting hubby. Or I joke that Belac is actually two kids. But the truth is I have just two and thank God. Hubby is back at work in the states and I am on my own for a few days. So far so good. How did I want or ever once think we could handle or afford more than two? I am content and grateful for my two.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.