Saturday, January 4, 2014

sunny patch

Late to services this morning. I ran ahead trailing 3 boys and hubby who was just emerging from a shower. Guided everyone into the 2nd row as they arrived and as usual, had my violin and played along to the service. I noticed Jake was standing taller and was asked to pass out some sheets. Belac endured the two hours without complaint. When asked, the boys went up and opened the doors to the scrolls and marched around the synagogue behind them. They helped themselves easily to food at the kiddush and poured themselves the coveted diet caffeine-free coke they're only allowed to drink there. Belac brought me some extra cucumbers he knew I wanted.... We've been going regularly in prep of the bar mitzvah and it shows in how routine it all is for us. On our way out, Belac recited what he knew of the Ashrei to the Cantor, much to her awe and surprise. He did it all during break. It takes going to develop these relationships and this kind of understanding, and lately it's become clear this is our community...

So what's happening now? Jake studying. He has exams next week. Hubby putting together a photo/video montage for the bar mitzvah. And Belac, you ask? Yet another kid called and asked Belac to play. The kid is now here and I'm listening in on their conversation. It's incredible what kind of social life Belac has. Kids call him! Wait, why does Belac get to play and have another playdate?! Jake asked incredulously. He doesn't have homework, I explained, and you do. And because it's much better for him to interact with other kids his age than be by himself, I didn't say but wondered if I should or could at this point.

I'm relieved that neither of my boys can be mistaken for being isolated. They have overlapping home-school-synagogue communities and a few true blue friends in this - what I'd describe to be - generally artsy, liberal minded neighborhood. I like that people come and go and know that our door is always open. Sure, it has benefitted Belac in huge, huge ways. But living in a walking town is the single most important decision we ever made for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.