Thursday, January 30, 2014

notes

I have had a girl in my nursery school class for 2 years. This semester, her little sister has been showing up in Mommy & Me with her mom. She's 2-1/2 years old and I was surprised she hadn't been coming earlier. I usually start teaching the younger sibs when their 6 months old. One day, the mom disclosed she had always wanted to come sooner with youngest but they had always been too busy with "services." Oh, I know all about that. I was once chained to my house almost 40 hours a week, I answered. And with that, we suddenly had a bond.

Her daughter is definitely sorta kinda on the spectrum and has language delay. She is tricky to engage but well behaved. And today she was so much more"on" than usual and in the middle of the action. The mom was so happy. The kid needs the social stimulation of younguns around her that adults simply cannot provide. By the way, she asked, our annual review is coming up, including our transition to CPSE. Would you mind filling out an observation form? No problem. What district are you in? Chappaqua. Oh, wow. We're the district next door. You are?? I teach part-time there and substitute in the middle school! You do? I do!!  We laughed. She knew my kids' teachers. And now she was going to figure out who my kids are, they have a different last name from mine. What a small world.

Between my trotting and walking, I am traveling 3 miles in almost 42 minutes everyday. Far cry from the 'very fit' category or a 10 minute mile or less. I could probably run a mile in 10 with a lot of huffing, but I can't sustain that kind of speed. Still. Proud of myself for my 9th day in a row!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.