Monday, December 22, 2014

backdrop

The backdrop of these crazy couple of weeks, is that our Rabbi has resigned and there has been fury and sadness, high emotions and so many discussions. It's just terrible. And this special needs service that has families coming from all over Westchester? He will only participate in one more. He's wonderful and I am so grateful, I told the Board, but we need to keep it on the calendar. I will continue to arrange, organize, prepare the lesson plan, market and run it myself as necessary until we are on firmer ground. This is a beautiful little community that has emerged within the bigger one, and we cannot let it go.

There was a congregational meeting called about this dire future of our synagogue. There was concern that there would be apathy. And because it's just the way I am, I took the initiative and made an evite, manually entering over 200 email addresses and now responding to every RSVP (or not) as it comes in. Every 10 minutes my phone dings. I look at the email address against a roster for the first names. Then go to the computer, because the damn evite doesn't work adequately on the phone, and I respond personally to each acceptance, maybe or no, in a positive, enthusiastic way that is seen on the wall. We really need people to come and vote on our future. We really need everyone to unite. Otherwise you know what? There will be no synagogue. And as unreligious and unobservant and skeptical as I am as a disbeliever, this community means something to me. I have friends there who are thinkers and doers and they are so accepting and kind to my boys, Belac especially. I really need this place - located just one block away - to survive.

Tomorrow we drive off after Jake's last exam at 11am. How will I respond to these evites? I have no idea, I will be driving through the Adirondacks and into Canada, where there is no good reception and I'll be with just my incompatible phone. A board member called and said it wasn't necessary and just make it all hidden. But it's totally necessary! The wall has begun to be peppered with comments and niceties from others. I can't make this opportunity unavailable during a time when everyone really needs to unite and communicate with one another.

Hubby and I are emotionally exhausted. He also didn't get the promotion....

Today we went to Mint, in Tarrytown. He wasn't so sure, initially. We have so much to do to get out of here, tomorrow. But it was a place that Flower's mom had brought me, and then a place I had brought Olivia, and we had a little time for a slow lunch. And it was delicious! And moseying about and taking our minds off of too much stuff, briefly, he followed as I wandered into a sweet little jewelry store of all handmade, colorful shiny treats. I am not a jewelry kind of person, but loved everything in there. The owner has an amazing eye and fabulous taste. I walked out with beautiful garnets hanging off of each of my lobes that hubby gave me....

How will this story end? I have no idea.

Tonight I had each kid write Happy Holiday cards to each of their teachers, inserting a $10 Starbucks card into each. I helped Belac write his 9th card, what he called the "best for the last" for Mrs. Ana. Midway, he turned to me. Actually, mom,  I should write you a card, you know, for volunteering for my Home Skills class and talking to me all of the time....

Life is good. I cannot complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.