Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Mac

Our Mac is broken and it's a big discussion with hubby about what to do about it. It's already 7 years old, I've been told, but it's just 7 years old! So it has a blue screen, okay, it's a hardware problem. I know when we bring it in to be serviced, there will be the hard sell to buy a new one. We will be told that ours is a dinosaur. They'll make fixing this computer prohibitively expensive and hubby will have to take an entire week end reinstalling programs. I know. But just because you can buy a new computer, doesn't mean you should.

Last night I asked hubby. This is going to sound crazy, but what if we don't even get the computer fixed? He looked at me like I was crazy.

Every night ends with the kind of ping pong or playing outside or chess game where I'm begging the kids to please go to bed. It is really the best kind of interaction and playing and it makes me happy to see. We have filled our lives up with far more wholesome things with strict rules in place of electronics on the week end only.  Jake has his no brand computer he built at camp that he uses for school, and it is hooked up to the internet and supervised by net nanny. Belac doesn't need to use the computer for school yet. Surprisingly, we haven't exactly missed the Mac. Though if I buy the animation program for Belac, we'd have to figure something out... But that aside, why do we need to provide another distraction, another time sink for all of us?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.