Friday, September 26, 2014

3rd

neighborhood kids out back

I had been weepy all night. Hubby didn't say much and understood full well why I was upset. I can't let things roll off like you, I told him, Dot told me the same thing, I just don't know how to not care, you know that about me, I told him, crying and all bent out of shape after the RH dinner.... In the morning, he told me. Gimky, we should adopt that little boy. It's something we will be proud of when we look back on our lives.... What? What about how we raised our own kids...? That, too, he told me.

Hubby came from a family of 5 kids, 2 huge dogs and grandparents on both sides. I'm from a family of 3 kids and then 3 adopted cousins and my grandma, all under one roof. It was an unspoken assumption when hubby and I married that we'd have some big family ourselves. And then we didn't. It was autism that stopped us at first, and then my cancer scare that didn't let us have any second thoughts.

And so here we are, thinking about a 3rd. Dreaming about it. And thinking about this little boy in foster care.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.