The questions in the interview were very direct and hinted at their concerns. You're not certified, how do we know you can design a curriculum, and one that will be dictated more by Common Core and the new headmaster's commitment to literacy in all subjects? Do you have any interest in this? And have you ever thought about simply teaching at your son's school...?
I am not certified, that's right, but I have experience. I spoke about how my motivation came from personal experience. But also how these kids really aren't that different from most others, but you just have to be more careful and creative about the delivery of information. Breaking concepts down into smaller bits and making the activities and music engaging.
I have a Doctorate of Music from Juilliard that was just paid off as a 43 year old. And let's just get real. I'm not spending $30,000 a year to get a Master's degree in Education to earn $30,000 a year as a music teacher. It just makes no practical sense. Especially because I've been lucky to already have plenty of experience without that specialized degree.
The director told me before I left. One thing is clear, especially with the middle school kids, today. You really care and connect with them. I see it's important to you that they learn something meaningful and they wanted more of it. Your loving demeanor is well-suited to this environment and on a faculty level, you're just a really nice person to work with.... We are meeting 2 other candidates in the next weeks, so it's going to take some time....
I understand you have to make a decision about the best fit, I told her. If you have any questions for me, you'll just email or call.
I really have no idea what will happen. They liked me the last time, too, when I didn't get the job. And they also have a new Head-Master who is conforming more with Core. (Don't know what I think about that, they are a private school, afterall. Why? When they don't have to? And it's a special needs school of all places!) The Head-Master might not want someone who's not certified, and she wasn't - interestingly - at my audition/interview either, though there were 3-4 adults observing in each class.
Life goes on in the meantime. Time to practice!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.