Tuesday, December 13, 2011

plan B

I went to math night, last night. All of the 5th grade teachers at Jake's school held a meeting to discuss the new Singapore math method. There are 160 students in his grade. About 30 parents showed up. More than half of those parents? From Jake's class.

The problem is so obvious to me. His teacher is not strong. Each teacher got up to present a concept and only Jake's teacher was obviously terrible. She read directly from a slide and then faded into the background. Every other teacher had a personality, but only Jake's teacher said nothing, preferring to not offer up any thoughts or speak up to answer any questions. She is also the one teacher that has never had Singapore math training, as she was away for maternity leave.

One of the moms in Jake's class raised her hand to say that she was really concerned. Her daughter was always very strong at math and always wanted to be a doctor, but now believed she was terrible at math and could no longer become a doctor. Another mom raised her hand and wondered if we were going to feel this guinea pig year in the years to come. This was too much new material in one year and the teachers admitted to struggling with this new method themselves. And you know what? Every single parent who raised their concerns had a student in Jake's class. And it was always another teacher that spoke up to do the reassuring, not Jake's teacher. Did Jake's teacher notice? Did she stop to think that maybe she needs to do better? Probably not, she's not the sharpest.

After the evening was over, I approached Mr. Spade, another 5th grade teacher. I liked his positive, easygoing style. I liked how he backtracked and explained a math problem in a different way to try to help a parent understand. Are you available to tutor my son in math? I asked him.

He was taken aback. You mean, your 5th grade son who goes to school here?

Yes. He used to love math and it used to be his strongest subject, but he's struggling, this year, I explained. In fact, he tells me that he now hates math! I've been trying to look for a math tutor, but no one can tell me with certainty that they can help him with this Singapore math. I study math with him for 45 minutes a day, but we need to do something else! He's lost his confidence, first of all, and this math is really not easy for me.

By now, a couple of parents were listening in on my conversation. Actually, we're interested in math tutoring, too, they murmured. Did he notice, we were all parents from Jake's class?

He was still taken aback but willing to help. I will arrange it, I told him, and if there is a small group of kids, all the better!

Outside, a small group of parents gathered. Did you notice that our teacher had the worst presentation of all? asked one parent. She has no enthusiasm, I heard. She looks like she doesn't understand the material! remarked another.

It's unfortunate, I agreed, but we're going to have to make the best of it. I had no appetite for gossiping about how bad she is. So who's in? Jake is free on Tuesday or Wednesday.... I'll arrange.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.