Tuesday, December 11, 2018

plans

Soon heading off to school and dropping in for a few minutes with the grade head. He’s a good guy and I feel transparency is important. Especially as we come down to the last week of school before winter break and possibly Belac’s last day of school. My message is simple: If we can get him into another school for January, we will move him. If not, we will step up on the tutoring and barrel on.

I am trying to be very frank about Belac’s challenges with the new school without scaring them away. It is one on one teaching and very individualized. It’s like home schooling, but with multiple teachers and not me. There is time to meet Belac where he is and go at his pace. The keeping up and catching up has been unsustainable these months and caused just so much stress for all of us. Please accept him.

We will pay through the nose for doing this, with our money sunk for the year at school 1 and now half a year at school 2. But what’s the purpose of earning big bucks if you have the opportunity to save your kid from drowning? Plus, I am going to ask school 1 if they’d consider the second semester tuition a charitable donation to help us move on for Belac.

A few weeks ago, a friend quoted Bob Simon from his NPR interview a while back. “He’s not the son I imagined I would have when I pictured myself as a father, but I have come to know that he is the son I was supposed to father.”  Reading this gave me pause. These past months have just been so, so hard; reframing my own situation in this way has given me comfort. Hopefully, he’s right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.