Saturday, November 19, 2011

preparing

We are now in over drive in prep for Thanksgiving.

Last year was our first Sunny Patch Thanksgiving and we were 26. This year, it has grown to be a 2 day eating event. We have 24 people for Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday. Some then go home and others arrive from Boston. On Friday, we will be 27 for dinner. Most of the week, we are sleeping 17 under this roof. I have borrowed 5 aerobeds and a toddler bed. A cord of wood arrived 2 weeks ago. I ordered a 28 lb. turkey, a large rib roast, and made a meal plan for an entire week. I expect to grocery shop everyday. I have been cleaning non-stop. Kids to barber, dog to groomer, hubby to Costco.... I love this. I love that everyone's coming again and that there will be days of food, drink, games, music, and marshmallows by the fire.

A phone call with my sister, though, reminds me to keep my emotions in check. My sister and I always have a great time and no party is complete without her. She's funny and full of life. But she can also be intent on certain things happening just so and her words have a slight confrontational ring when she's on a mission. She was concerned that I was going to buy a frozen turkey. (I rolled my eyes. Last year's turkey was not frozen either. The turkey is from a farm in Westchester County.) But it could still be frozen. (It's slaughtered within a 24 hour period before my scheduled pick up. Don't worry, it's free range, organic, grain fed... blah, blah, blah.) Aren't you buying 2 smaller ones instead of a big one? The turkey might get dry.... (Not sure 2 - 12 pounders could fit into my one oven.) Aren't we using your neighbor's oven? (She might be home after all.) The roast last year wasn't big enough. (No problem, I'll buy a bigger one, but I am limited by the size of my convection oven.) And on and on....  ENOUGH, sister! You're driving me crazy. Everything is going to be fine!

My husband found my sister's line of questioning endearing. She wants it to be good, that's all Gimky. She wants Thanksgiving to be special. Just remember, it's family! Most importantly, you have to get yourself emotionally prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.