Wednesday, April 13, 2011

the answer

As we were hanging out before bedtime, totally unprovoked:

How many months are there til summer? I can't wait for summer.... Mom, Mrs. Palmer yells all of the time.

All of the time? Does that mean more than me?

You barely yell. Actually, you don't yell. She yells like this, (raising his voice) GET YOUR MATH BINDERS OUT! She yells all of the time. I feel really sorry for anyone who has her.

You're doing pretty well in school. Do you think she's helped you be a better student?

Well. She's helped me be more worried!

Worried about what?

Worried about getting in trouble. Worried about getting yelled at. That kind of stuff.

Okay, folks. So there you have it and it's the answer that makes the most sense to me. 8 months into 4th grade, 6 weeks into almost daily nightmares.... This is why I'm going to write to the school and talk to as many people as I can to make sure he gets a certain kind of homeroom teacher, next year. Hopefully, I can just be nice about it and it will be fine. But I have no problem raising hell if I have to. And believe me, when forced to resort to such measures, I can yell louder than anyone.

1 comment:

  1. Abi has the same issues - fortunately she has an Ed Psych report that we can get out if necessary to show that shouting at or around her produce a stress response. There are notices up in every staff room in her school stating that no teacher may riase their voice if Abigail is in the vicinity! Maybe Jake needs that kind of blanket care. We pointed out to the school that they are in loco parentis and they agreed. It is 't survival of the fittest at this age. It must be nurture for every child.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.